Monday, April 14, 2014

Playshop Creations!



As a part of my playshop activity, I asked my student if she liked movies. She said that she did, but she liked reading more. I let her know that many of the books that she likes have been turned into movies as well. For instance, she likes to read Harry Potter. I asked her if she would like to make a movie about some of the toys that we used in class? She thought that was a great idea. She said that she had seen a similar toy in a claw machine.  She said that she likes the claw machine. Immediately, I thought that this was a great discovery because there are always popular toys in the claw machine. I asked her why she liked it so much and we discussed how we both wondered if the toys knew where the claw was taking each toy as it grabbed the toys. This is how our idea was born.

At the time we only had one toy, Sherman, from Mr. Peabody and Sherman and no time to prepare or make the film. I asked my student about ideas so that I could finish the project at home. She wanted a claw machine and I told her I would add more toys. We did not get around to discussing what would culminate in the film, so I had to make that decision myself. I hope my partner approves!

Additionally, there were some challenges creating the film. The director and the producer could not meet regularly. And some stars were also cut from the film. It was a lot more difficult to make because I wanted it to be perfect for my student. Overall, this project was fun and served as a great way to connect literacy to film making.

No comments:

Post a Comment